- The entrance fee is $25 per team until December 25th. $50 until two weeks prior to the contest date. $75 until the contest.
- Teams are given 54 hours (from the end of the Inception meeting till Drop-Off) to script, shoot, and edit their 4-7 minute short film.
- At the Inception meeting, teams will be given their genre and three elements: an action, prop, and line of dialogue. These elements must be used in the team’s short film. Failure to do so will lead to disqualification from awards.
- 24 hours into the competition, teams will receive a call or email from the "executive producer" who will ask them to add in a 4th element. Failure to add in this element will only disqualify the short from receiving the "Curve Ball" award.
- Only one representative from each team (the Team Leader) needs to be at the Inception meeting, though more are welcome to come.
- All content for your film must be created during the 54 hours of competition.
- All content must be suitable for a PG-13 rating. No nudity, excessive vulgarity, or excessive gore. If you have a question about specific content, contact a 54 Film Fest representative about it.
- A 54 Film Fest representative will be at the CTV Drop-Off two hours before competition end (10pm till Midnight).
- Late turn-ins will be accepted and screened, but will be disqualified for all awards.
- No talent or crew member may be paid. You can still buy them food!
- Films should be turned in as digital files (it will be screened in the same resolution you turn it in as).
- h.264 preferred, but all files compatible with Compressor are accepted.
- Flash drives preferred, but DVDs and other storage devices are accepted.
- It is a good idea to turn in two copies--a primary and a back up--of your film.
- Teams can have +30 seconds of credits for a maximum length of 7:30.
- All release forms must be filled out completely and turned in at the Drop-Off with your film.
- The Team Leader Agreement must be turned in at the Inception Meeting.
- Only use original material, or material you have permission to use. If the copyright is in question, a 54 Film Fest representative will contact you regarding the issue.
- Use of copyright material without permission is grounds for disqualification from the screening and awards.
- The screening will be at a local theater; specifics can be found on the homepage of each city.
- Tickets will be available for $8 a piece or $15 for both screenings in cities that require it.
- Team leaders will receive one free ticket.
The following individual categories will be judged by industry professionals:
- Best Directing
- Best Editing
- Best Sound Track
- Best Audio Mix
- Best Production Design
- Best Wardrobe
- Best Make-Up
- Best Special Effects
- Best Visual Effects
- Best Cinematography
- Best Writing
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Supporting Actor
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Child Actor
- Best Child Actress
The following will be judged by 54 Film Fest:
- Best Use of Action
- Best Use of Prop
- Best Use of Dialogue
- The Curve Ball Award
All films will be screened in private before a diverse audience prior to the Screening. This audience will judge the Best Film based on entertainment value alone.
The award ceremony will follow the Screening.